Friday, August 26, 2005

Them Downstate people just ain't right

Hippiemama called me this morning from San Diego to tell me about her visit with Hippieuncle and his Hippiefriends, and despite all her complaints about Chicago and all her yens to be on a beach in SoCal year-round, she actually said, "I actually like Chicago better." Apparently San Diego is one big suburb without the diversity of restaurants or cultural attractions that Chicago has. Take that, Tan Diego! Anyway, the Chicago Tribune ran some articles this morning that grabbed my attention. Have a look-see, and share with your friends.

1. HOAX!
That's right, I said it. Downstate people are just wrong. Kidding. But Southern Illinois University should know better. As a journalist (well, I was for a while...in college...) I am appalled. And yet, it's rather funny.

2. Bold School
Kanye West is a native of Chicago, and he more than makes up for the embarrassment of a Chicago musician known as R. Kelly. I may be a relative newcomer to the world of quality hip hop, but I look forward to the new wave of music emerging from Kanye, Common, Mos Def, and other musicians who have been around forever and are finally really getting noticed. Bye bye, bling bling.

3. Chicago not for elephants, scientist tells alderman
Keeping elephants out of the Chicago zoos is not a bad thing, though some people may be dismayed. Zoos are great places for teaching people about animals who need less living space or who are more adaptive to their surroundings, but elephants need to roam. Put them on reserves in Tennessee or the Great Plains, where they can live in protected areas that are more like their natural habitats in Asia and Africa. Props to Chicago scientists for standing up for better treatment of elephants.